Sunday, September 9, 2012

House Hunting and Attack Deer

So this past week, we have gotten a little more serious about looking at houses for sale in town.  On Saturday, we met a real estate agent named Dan, and he showed us three different houses.

Let's talk about Dan a moment.  A mechanical engineer by trade, 5'8", 220 lbs, the three most fashionable S's you can combine (socks, shorts, and sandals), and a button-up shirt in which a few buttons looked like they were hurtin' to stay sewn in. He also drives a brand new black Cadillac STS. He was quite proud of his recent upgrade from the '07 model, which didn't quite have the power the new one does... A picture of paradoxes, that man was. Despite his Bellingham-esqe attire, Dan was very nice and helpful in telling us more about the city and neighborhoods we were interested in.

Now back to the houses...The first two were OK, but not really what we were looking for.  The third one literally scared me. I'll explain.

There are areas of Bellingham that are still pretty rural, even though there are houses and neighborhoods.  The third house was in such an area.  We were looking out through one of the side windows and Adam points out a mama deer and two babies (yes, I still consider them babies, even though they probably weighed about 200 lbs.).

See them in the back yard? Pretty cool from far away......
I thought, "Oh cute, they are eating some berries in the side yard!" And then I thought nothing more of it until we went to look at the back yard and the deer had wandered into the yard, quietly eating grass and shruberry, minding their own business.

We started to walk to the detached garage when the mama deer decided we were a little too close for her comfort and made the oddest sound I have ever heard...a funny sort of snort, and Adam claimed her nostrils immediately got snotty (the things you notice...).  At this point, I decided to head my pregnant self back up the stairs to the deck and watch from above (if I could have ran, I would have, but it was more of a wobble/waddle.  Adam wouldn't admit it, but he scooted pretty darn fast into the garage, he claims because he really was interested in seeing the garage...I think he just didn't want to get snotted on by an angry mama deer (which I don't blame him).  Dan, who we determined makes a much better real estate agent than wildlife tour guide says, "I've never heard anything like that, Adam." Dan also hunts (well, if you want to get technical, and Dan apparently did, he is actually a soccer player who would go on hunting trips with his brother, but not actually hunt, only enjoy nature). Hmm.

After a few more snorts, the deer family meandered their way back to the side yard, across the street, and off to wherever they were headed next.

The angry deer will definitely be taken into consideration should we make an offer on this house.

Hopefully we'll see a few more places soon! We'll keep you posted!

P.S. The nesting may have begun as I made an apple crisp today from an apple tree in our front yard.  I felt very domestic. And it was YUMMY!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment