Friday, March 11, 2011

Two Dogs, One Brittney, Zero Hotel Room Keys

It has been a few days since we arrived in Medford, OR.  The weather has been pretty dreary, so my days have consisted of playing the guitar, surfing the net, and (although I hate to admit it) watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians and their various spin-offs, however, seeing Kris Jenner successfully execute a keg stand was slightly more entertaining than Kathy Lee and Hoda....

Getting used to having dogs in a hotel room has quite the learning curve to it.  Keeping an eye on these guys can be difficult, but I thought I had started to get the hang of it, especially the carefully planned potty trips to the very specific doggy outdoor area.  I had gotten it down to a precise science, as follows....

1. Attract Thomas's attention long enough with kissy noises in order to accessorize him with his bright red, full body collar. See following picture, as Tom very handsomely models the contraption....

2. Very quickly put on Dudley's collar, while Thomas jumps around like a wild jack rabbit, while simultaneously praying that Dudley just stays silent and doesn't alert the ENTIRE HOTEL that he's ready to pee by a single bark.

3. Grab my jacket, doggy treats, and hotel key as fast as possible so we can get out the door.....

These steps usually work well and I don't have many issues.....until this morning.

The first steps went smooth as butter, treats in pocket, hotel key in pocket from earlier, and we were off. We had made it out to the lawn area and both dogs decided they needed to do their number 2 doggy business at the EXACT SAME TIME, which usually wouldn't be a problem for an experienced dog person, such as myself, however, trying to grab two poop baggies to clean it up, while both dogs (who are now much more spirited :) ) are running in circles in opposite directions was quite a challenge.... but somehow the poop was cleaned up and I was ready to get back in the room.

As I reached the outside door to the hotel, I went to grab what I thought was the hotel key.....but it wasn't, it was my driver's license from the bar we had gone to last night to catch the WSU game (because for some reason, I STILL get carded...I'm nearly 23 people!!) .... perfect!  So I tried to gracefully walk to the front lobby with two hyper dogs.  Good in theory, until I came to find out that they were repainting the walls, which led to even more excited dogs, because "omg, omg, omg, new people to pet me, new smells, new everythings!!!!!! weeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!"  I explained to the attendant that I left my key in the room and needed a new one, hoping that she would notice the two hyper, four-legged creatures wrapping both their leashes around my ankles and not ask any questions.  Luckily, she was able to make the key quickly and I was on my way back to the room.

"Phew, crisis averted, time to relax again, hopefully I didn't miss any E! news," I thought as I inserted the freshly made key into the door lock....RED.  "What??  RED!? This key was just made!!!!!"  Not wanting to deal with the fiasco of the front lobby painting crew again, I came up with a brilliant plan.... I'll just ask the maid two rooms down if she can just let me in real quick so I don't have to go all the way back to the lobby with the dogs, etc. Well, turns out it's a rarity to find a maid that speaks English.  Since my Espanol consists of "gracias" and "un poquito," the only answer the maid could give me was "front desk, front desk, sorry, front desk."  Could it get worse, you ask? Yes. Apparently Dudley is taking lessons from Houdini and was able to slip right out of his collar, so I'm sure you can imagine me holding Dudley, trying to explain my situation to the maid, all while keeping Thomas from barking.  Chaos, pure chaos....back to the front desk.....

Turns out the second time is charm and I was finally able to get back into the room with both dogs attached and business done....and there sat the key :)

As much as I enjoyed this little fiasco, I count my lucky stars I'm not in charge of the alternative duty....the 5 AM potty run :) That's a man's job :)

Looking forward to the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.  This is how you know it's been a good day.... note the synchronized sleeping positions....

No comments:

Post a Comment