Thursday, September 1, 2011

Rockin' and Rollin'

I woke up expecting this Thursday to be like any other Thursday...pull myself out of bed at 7, go to work, get frustrated asking clients for the same thing over and over again, eat my 10:00 AM snack, ask the client again, eat lunch, and then count down til 5:00 (no, I actually am quite busy during the day....)

But this afternoon, Mother Nature herself decided to shake things up a bit....I experienced my first earthquake, people!!!!!!!! yeeeeee-haaaaa!!! And it tipped the Richter scale at an impressive 4.2!

Here's how it went down....

I was sitting at my little cubical, crunchin' numbers and footin' schedules, when all of a sudden, my world was shaking!!! I didn't know what to do!  Do I crawl under my desk?  Do I try to get outside? I had no clue! It's been years since I practiced my earthquake preparedness drills!

And then it was over.

So, maybe it wasn't a life-changing experience, but it was super exciting!! (well, exciting wasn't the first adjective I would have chose....) Afterwards, after making sure everyone in our office was still alive, my thoughts turned to something much more important....is Thomas scared right now?

I can only imagine the thoughts racing through his head... "Dudley!! Dudley!!! Wake up, old man! The garage is shaking! Bwittney is not here! How am I to protect her??  BWITTNEEEEEEEEYYYY" Dudley replies, "Huh?? Whaaa??"

So what did I learn from my first earthquake?  Please read on and learn from my rookie failures:

1. Never wear white pants on earthquake day at work....... (haha just kidding, but I did really wear white pants...)

2. Carefully weigh the options of physically crawling under your desk before doing so....150% sure I would have hurt myself in doing so and it would have taken me twice as long as the actual quake to muscle myself down there....

3. Don't get too worked up because when your husband says, "What earthquake??" and he was only a mile away, maybe it wasn't that big of a deal...

4. Get used to having to go back to work afterwards....no evacuations, no leaving early, no nothing but a chuckle or two and a "Well congratulations, kiddo,  you just experienced your first earthquake."  Thanks?

5. Maybe it's best to not ask others if they felt the quake because you'll get answers you don't want to hear... "Yep, was in the bathroom..." God bless those night janitors...

In non-earthquake related news, Vegas - we are coming for ya tomorrow!!! oh and apparently there is something that started today called an "NFL draft" or, how you say... "Fantasy Football."  Looks like Bill & Guilianna and Toddlers and Tiaras will be put on the back burner for about, oh 5 months, and I will be learning more than I ever thought possible about more football leagues than I ever knew existed.... Go Team! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment